SOAR - 2 Foundations: Skills for Adult Living
The applicant must meet the following Steps to Opportunities, Academics, and Readiness program requirements to be considered fully-qualified:
The program does not have Academic prerequisites, however, the instructor will assess the student’s capacity to succeed in the program. All students must:
- Participate in an intake interview with the instructor
- Have the ability to learn and participate in a group setting
- Have had no behavioral or emotional problems that would significantly interfere with the learning or safety of self or others
- Have a commitment to learning
- Have a medical condition affecting cognitive ability.
Before an applicant’s file is considered to be complete, the following must have been received by the Admissions office:
- Completed application form
- An interview (in person or by telephone) with the Steps to Opportunities, Academics, and Readiness (SOAR) program instructor before entry to the program
- At least two of the following (students must provide documentation at their own effort and expense)
- A psychological assessment
- A copy of an IEP (Individual Education Plan) or transcript from school
- Documentation of disability from a physician or medical specialist
- A referral from CLBC (Community Living B.C.)
- A recommendation from an instructor in an SOAR program at Selkirk, another college, or high school
- A referral from a community agency
We believe in giving learners the chance to flourish in a supportive college setting. It is important we take the time to get to know a prospective student so an individual plan is developed to foster success and appropriately meet the needs of the student and programming.
EMPS13 - Beginner Employment Skills
EMPS 13: Beginner Employment Skills provides students with learning opportunities for developing beginner employability skills. Students will practice valuable workplace skills in a variety of activities that match the student's abilities. Students will gain a better understanding of common employer expectations, communication techniques, and professionalism.
COMU13 - Communication Skills for Adult Living
COMU 13: Communication Skills provides students with communication tools that are useful in adult life when communicating with employers, family, friends and community members. Students will participate in a variety of experiential learning activities to practice ways in which we communicate and participate in communication with others. Students will learn about elements of communication, effective communication techniques, asking questions, and responding to requests.
DISC13 - Discovery of Self for Adult Living
DISC 13: Discovery of Self for Adult Living provides students with the steps and processes that are helpful for transitioning into a new phase of adult living (e.g. graduating from high school and entering adulthood). As the students learns to participate in personal planning and goal setting, they will be able to share in self-reflection, recognize support resources, and communicate an awareness of community resources.
LLIT13 - Beginner Living Literacy
LLIT 13 Beginner Living Literacy Skills helps students develop basic literacy skills that are useful for everyday interactions in the community and at home. Students will learn how to use calendars and planners, compose short written correspondences, understand the impact of first impressions, and identify common signs and symbols used in our community.
LMAT13 - Beginner Living Math
LMAT 13 Beginner Living Math helps students develop basic skills in numeracy. Students will learn to recognize numbers and order numbers, count coins and paper money and use basic number operations to solve basic math problems common in everyday interactions.
WELL13 - Healthy Living Skills for Adult Living
WELL 13: Healthy Living Skills for Adult Living explores basic health and wellness skills to set up a student for a successful balance in adult life. Students will identify positive healthy behaviours, apply general health and wellness knowledge, recognize community resources for healthy living, and set goals for healthy living.
Find Out More
We look forward to connecting with you! Fill out this form and we'll reach out to you.