Learning in Retirement (LiR) offers our 50+ community the opportunity to explore old and new interests in a relaxed and stimulative learning environment. LiR, a volunteer not-for-profit organization, works in partnership with Continuing Education at Selkirk College to develop and provide a diverse program of speakers, courses and other activities for its members.
LiR officially began in 2009 with 18 paid-up members, and by mid-2018 had grown to a membership of 300. During the spring and fall there are guest speakers, interest groups, pub quizzes and courses. Field trips take place during the summer. The annual membership fee (valid from September 1 to August 31) is $15 plus tax. Most activities take place at the Silver King Campus and session fees are set at a low-nominal charge. Field trips are also run on a cost-recovery basis.
Check out the latest LiR Journal for the latest schedule, news on past activities, and more information on LiR.
If you are looking for ways to stay mentally and socially active in association with your peers, consider becoming a member of Learning in Retirement. Sign up and pay for your membership through the administrative office in the Silver King Campus at 250.354.3220 or email email@example.com. You can also use the LiR Registration Form to mail in your registration.
- Take-part in lively, fun and informative activities and discussions.
- Utilize peer-group learning which stimulates social interaction.
- Enjoy a "no-pressure" environment with quiz- and grade-free courses.
- Participate in invigorating learning experiences.
- Feel free to access Selkirk's library resources.
- Find the opportunities for companionship and mental stimulation.
How to Participate
Besides membership, volunteering is a great way to get to develop and keep your skills sharp, while you help to keep LiR vital in the Nelson area. There are five board committees to volunteer for: Program, Social, Communications, Membership, Finance. Learn more about the LiR Board of Directors below.
To learn more, volunteer or contact the board, please email Nelson LiR at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or just drop by!
- Come to a Friday presentation or monthly pub quiz.
- Take a multi-session course.
- Join an interest group.
- Facilitate a session or course.
- Suggest possible speakers.
- Volunteer to serve on a committee or the board.
- Spread the word to your friends.
Board of Directors
- CHAIR: Pat Gibson
- VICE-CHAIR: Kathy Hrabluk
- SECRETARY: Sandra Tozer
- TREASURER: Raj Downe (to be appointed)
- DIRECTORS: Jack Harrison, Sheila Kerr, Johanna Sandkuhl, Margaret Stegman, Carl Waterer
- FINANCE COMMITTEE: Chair Raj Downe, Pat Gibson, Kathy Hrabluk
- MEMBERSHIP COMMITEE: Chair Jack Harrison
- COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE: Chair Lindy Flynn (does not sit on the board) Pat Gibson, Carl Waterer
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE: Chair Kathy Hrabluk, Raj Downe, Sheila Kerr, Jack Harrison, Margaret Stegman, Sandra Tozer
- SOCIAL COMMITTEE: Chair Johanna Sandkuhl, Raj Downe
- SAFETY COMMITTEE: Chair Carl Waterer
- ARCHIVES COMMITTE: Chair Judy Deon (does not sit on the board)
- Friday Presentations
- Multi-session Courses
- Field Trips
- Interest Groups
- Pub Quizzes