Frequently Asked Questions: Work Study Program

When and how much will I be paid?

A timesheet schedule can be found in the link below. It is your responsibility to submit your hours through Unit4 online portal every two weeks according to the payroll schedule. Students are paid through direct deposit on a bi-weekly schedule.

It will take a few days for your profile to be created in Unit4 after completing the employee orientation.

If you have any questions regarding your pay contact the Payroll Department at (250) 365-1330.

​​​Students will be paid the established work study rate identified on the position’s posting plus 4% vacation pay.​​​​​

What is the duration of the Work Study Program?
  • The last day of exams is the last day for work study each semester.
  • Exact start dates for each position will be identified by your supervisor.
Am I eligible to apply for a work study position?

You must be enrolled in at least one course for the full duration of the of the time period of the work study position.

You must be in good standing with Selkirk College, and you must be legally able to work in Canada with a valid social insurance number (SIN).

Can I apply if I am an international or exchange student?

Yes. International students who are legally able to work in Canada—and are able to provide a SIN # and a valid student work visa—are able to hold a work study position.

When can I begin working in my new work study position?

Your supervisor will send your contract and information for processing. Once processed you will receive an email with information regarding your orientation. When you have completed you online orientation, you and your supervisor will receive an approval email letting you know you are eligible to begin working in your new position.

How many hours can I work as a work study student?

A student is recommended to work a maximum of 10 hours per week, a total of 150 hours in the fall/winter semesters, and a total of 75 hours in the spring semester.

What are my responsibilities in a work study position?

Work study students make an important contribution to the operation of the college. Within their working units, they serve as a member of a team and perform needed functions. Thus, acceptance of any work study position should be considered a sincere commitment.

With this commitment supervisors can reasonably expect students to:

  • Maintain enrolment and satisfactory academic progress. Notify your supervisor immediately if your enrolment status changes.
  • Report to work on time and perform assigned duties in a satisfactory manner.
  • Notify the supervisor of necessary work schedule changes. Projects and examinations sometimes necessitate adjustments.
  • Follow all Selkirk College policies and departmental rules as identified by your supervisor. In addition, it is your responsibility to be aware of the Selkirk College Student Code of Conduct (Policy 3400).
  • Submit correct payroll information to the supervisor in accordance with the timesheet due date schedule.
What about holidays and overtime?

Work study students will not be scheduled on statutory holidays or be scheduled to work overtime.

How does this factor into my income tax?

Selkirk College will mail out T4 slips by February 28 for income tax purposes. If your address changes, please ensure that the Payroll Department has your updated information.

Work study students need to complete their TD1 and TD1BC as part of the work study orientation. We have provided an example TD1 and example TD1 BC. Please note this is a basic example with only the mandatory fields completed. Everyone's TD1 and TD1 BC will vary. If you are having trouble completing your forms, please contact the work study office. 

I can't login to Unit4. What am I doing wrong?

Once you have completed the employee orientation, it will still take a few days for your profile to be created in Unit4. If you are still encountering problems, please contact IT Services for support.

I have lost my password to Unit4. What can I do?

Your Unit4 password is the same password you use for Moodle. If this is not working for you, you will need to contact IT Services for support.

I have been hired for a work study position, but my information doesn't show up in Unit4. What can I do?

​​​​​​Once your orientation is approved, all information is forwarded to Human Resources and Unit4 for processing.

This can take up to a week, so we ask for patience during this time. If you have concerns, please email us.

Can I have more than one work study position?

Students can hold up to only two work study positions at one time.