An open admission program of credit-bearing courses. Open Studies enables students to take a course from a program in which they are not registered. Students may choose Open Studies to try courses before choosing a program, take courses for interest, earn pre-requisites for other programs, improve course knowledge and grades, or take courses for professional development. Courses identified for Open Studies have availability for additional students from the community or from other programs. Open Studies course offerings may change year to year.
Enrol in a post-secondary course.
Identify the learning outcomes for a post-secondary course.
Navigate the learning requirements of a post-secondary course.
1. Students may apply to the Open Studies program without meeting College admission requirements. An Open Studies student may register in courses designated eligible for Open Studies without meeting admission requirements for the course or program in which the course resides. Open Studies students attend courses subject to:
- Only attending courses identified by Selkirk College as eligible for Open Studies
- Apprising themselves of course prerequisites, including English language proficiency requirements, and accepting responsibility for adequate preparation for successful participation and completion, irrespective of not having to meet course admission requirements
Adherence to all policies at the College applicable to attendance of any specific course, with the exception of admission requirements as noted above.
- Courses are not a graduation requirement of the academic program the student is currently attending
1. Credits granted for successful completion of courses may be applied towards program graduation once a student has been accepted into the respective program.
2. Successfully completed Open Studies courses may be considered by program chairs in the admission decision, if the completed course is at a higher level than the admission requirement for a program.
Find Out More
We look forward to connecting with you! Fill out this form and we'll reach out to you.
Explore the courses currently being offered through Open Studies.
Register now to start the process! Choose "Open Studies" in EducationPlannerBC.
Once you have registered on EducationPlannerBC, we will contact you via email to register in the specific course(s) that you chose. You will not have to submit transcripts or other documentation outlined in a program's admission requirements. You can audit a course or take it for credit.
Please note, it is still your responsibility to be prepared for the course, even though you do not need to meet the admission requirements.