All high school levels are available. We offer 80 fully accredited courses. Our classrooms are supportive and respectful, and our instructors are committed to your success. Jump start your life with Academic Upgrading at our Castlegar, Grand Forks, Kaslo, Nakusp, Nelson (Silver King) or Trail campuses.
Learn in a Supportive Atmosphere
- Take the courses you need to meet your goals.
- Improve your understanding of course content.
- Get help with difficult concepts from other courses.
- Work out a schedule that suits your needs.
- Understand the way you learn best.
- Take a class or work on your own.
- Get instruction and support when you need it to improve basic skills, like reading, writing and math.
- Complete prerequisite courses for entry into college or university.
- Complete the BC Adult Graduation Diploma, the "Adult Dogwood."
Upgrading courses are tuition free. The BC government funds Adult Basic Education. You can also apply for the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG), a government grant to help you cover any additional costs of returning to school. It can help with transportation, unsubsidized daycare and the cost of supplies and student fees.
For more information, or to register get in touch!
Learners participating in Academic Upgrading courses at Selkirk College will finish their studies being able to demonstrate a number of the program outcomes listed below:
- Demonstrate increased self-confidence.
- Manage financial matters by applying principles of numeracy, accounting and integration of relevant technology.
- Use appropriate verbal, non-verbal and written skills to communicate.
- Develop effective learning strategies and adapt them to new situations.
- Create realistic personal, work, and educational goals and plans to achieve them.
- Exhibit positive professional behaviour and employment related skills that maximize opportunities for success.
- Demonstrate resilience, creativity and critical thinking in challenging situations.
- Participate effectively as part of a team and in society.
- Identify personal values, make decisions, and balance responsibilities to increase well-being.
- Practice appropriate safety procedures.
- Use current and emerging technology effectively.
Students applying to Academic Upgrading are not subject to the general admission requirements for Selkirk College.
- All applicants will meet with an instructor to discuss past education, current academic goals and choose an appropriate set of courses.
Students must be 18 years of age or over at the time of registration.
- Notwithstanding the above, students 16 or 17 years of age may be considered for admission. Students will be assessed for admission based on referral to the program by a parent/guardian, a secondary school, or other professional (ie: social worker, counsellor)
- In addition, the instructor who met with the student in part 2 must be satisfied that the under-age student can perform in an adult learning environment. Such admission decisions will be made by the Intake Instructors under the supervision of the School Chair.
Note: It is Selkirk’s intention to work collaboratively with our local school districts to ensure an under-aged student’s needs are best met by programming in the post-secondary system.
Before an applicant’s file is considered to be complete, students must:
- meet with an instructor (in person or by telephone)
- complete a Selkirk College Application for Admission form
- sign their completed Course Registration form
- complete funding paperwork: forms for either an Adult Upgrading Grant, Supplementary Adult Upgrading Bursary or a funding Opt Out form, including any associated documentation required (child care subsidy form, appendices, proof of income)
Students may be promoted based on demonstration of skills on a diagnostic assessment or prior learning assessment or with the Instructor's permission. It is recommended that students achieve a minimum of 60% before progressing to the subsequent levels. There is no GPA calculation in Academic Upgrading. Students must pass the required courses with a minimum grade of 50% in order to receive a credential.
Find Out More
We look forward to connecting with you! Fill out this form and we'll reach out to you.