Frequently Asked Questions: Student Housing

Applying and Arriving

How can I pay for my housing?

The best way to pay today and always is online. Just set up Selkirk College as a vendor on your bank account. With your student number, you can pay your fees similar to a phone bill or power bill.

You can also pay in person at any of our campus cashiers with cheque, money order, debit, Visa or MasterCard. Cashiers can be reached in Nelson at (250) 354-3244 or in Castlegar at (250) 365-1297.

When is the earliest I can apply for Student Housing?

Today! We will accept your application as soon as you are ready to apply.

When is it too late to apply for Student Housing?

It is never too late to apply. We accept applications year-round if space is available.

Can I apply even if I haven't been accepted into a program yet?

You may apply as soon as you are issued a student number

Are deposits refundable?

Yes, until July 15.

When should I arrive?

You are encouraged to book your arrival in the week before classes begin.

Is there a cost for moving in early?

Yes, $40 per night up to August 31. There is no additional charge from September 1. Arrival dates must be arranged in advance with the housing coordinator.

Before You Arrive

How big are the rooms?
  • Castlegar Student Housing: approximately 130 sq ft.

  • Tenth Street Student Housing: bedrooms are from 100 to 140 sq ft.

Is there a common kitchen?

There are larger kitchen spaces available for use in both Nelson and Castlegar. This space is meant for all to access and, as such, should be kept clean at all times. All items found in the kitchen should be returned to their rightful place after use.

Are there other costs that I should budget for?

Taxi from Castlegar Airport:

  • Castlegar campus is around $10.

  • Tenth Street Campus in Nelson is $110-$140.

Public Transport: BC Transit buses serve all campuses. Bus passes are available in our bookstore: $45/month, $125/semester.

Winter stay-over: To stay over the Winter break, there is an additional cost of $250. You must apply beforehand.

Wi-Fi: Selkirk Housing is equipped with Wi-Fi, although some students open their own accounts for enhanced service: $45-$100 month.

Do I need renter's insurance?

It is recommended. However, as a single student living on campus, your contents will generally be covered by your parents’ home insurance. Please confirm with your insurance company.

Once You're Here

How do I cancel my Student Housing contract?

A notice form, available in the Student Housing Office, must be completed and returned to the Student Housing Office before the last working day of the month for the notice period to take effect on the first of the following month. Notice provided after the first of the month shall not be effective until the end of the following month (or semester end). 

For example, for move out November 30, the notice form MUST be received and stamped no later than October 31.
Students withdrawing from the college mid-semester are required to give notice as soon as they are aware that they are withdrawing. Documentation from the Registrar’s Office will be required confirming withdrawal. Withdrawing students are to follow the normal move-out procedures. Selkirk College will not be held responsible for any personal items placed in storage that may be lost, stolen or damaged. Please refer to the Student Housing Agreement for fees associated with early withdrawal.
I want to get something delivered, what is my address for delivery?


(Your name and room number) (Your name and room number)
301 Frank Beinder Way
Castlegar, BC V1N 4L3                                                          


(Your name and room number) (Your name and room number)
702 Tenth Street
Nelson, BC V1L 3C7

When your parcel arrives, we will place a parcel card in your mailbox. You can then pick up the parcel from the Student Housing Office. If you are tracking a parcel, please allow for a minimum of 24 hours for us to receive the parcel from Shipping and Receiving.

I lost my keys, what do I do?

Report the lost keys immediately.

As soon as you are aware your keys or FOB have gone missing, report the loss immediately to the Student Housing Office.

  • Mail key: $20

  • Lounge key or FOB: $60

  • Suite key: $75

  • Lock change: $100

  • Entire key set: $200

Unreported lost keys will be considered non-returned keys, and all charges associated with non-returned keys will apply.

I am locked out, who do I call?

Between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm on weekdays, go to the Student Housing Office. At any other time, see the housing advisor on duty. 

I need something fixed in my room, what do I do?

Please do not attempt to repair items in your room yourself. It may result in an additional cost to you.

Work orders can be placed by going to the Student Housing Office and reporting the problem. A housing advisor can also submit a work order as well.

I don't get along with my roommates, what can I do?

If you are having roommate problems, follow these steps:

  1. Consult your roommate contract (see Housing Agreement for guidelines).
  2. See your housing advisor and ask for mediation.
  3. If the issue cannot be resolved, the housing advisor will advise the housing coordinator who will assist with the resolution.

Explore all the possibilities before you move. It may be a simple problem that can be solved with some outside help. Don’t let problems go too long before you deal with them.

If the issue cannot be resolved, then a room change may be requested through the Student Housing Office. A Request to Move Rooms form must be completed at the Student Housing Office and a $100 processing fee applies.

Room changes are not permitted during the room freeze period (the first two weeks or the last two weeks of the term).

Request to Move Rooms Nelson Request to Move Rooms Castlegar

I want to change rooms, what do I do?

There are no room changes in Student Housing during the first two weeks and last two weeks of each term.

Outside of those times, fill out a Request to Move Rooms form for Castlegar or Nelson, and submit to the housing office. The cost for a room change is $100.

Can I bring candles and incense?

Candles and incense are not allowed in Student Housing. The danger of open flame contributes to potential fire and can cause damage to furniture and flooring coverings.

Can I have an overnight guest?

Yes, but talk to your roommate(s), your housing advisor and the Student Housing Office. You need permission from all of them. No guests are allowed to stay during the first two weeks or the last two weeks of the semester. 

Guests are permitted to visit on a two consecutive day stopover, with a maximum of four days a month. Host must register intent to have short-term guest with a signed Guest Permission Form from your housing advisor or the Student Housing Office at least five days prior to the guest arriving. Long-term stays (three days or more) are not permitted without the direct approval of the Student Housing Manager.

What are the cafeteria hours?

Please visit Food Services.

Can I have alcohol in my room?

Yes, unless you are a minor (under the age of 19). Alcohol cannot be consumed anywhere else in Student Housing or Selkirk College property.

Can I have another fridge in my room?

Personal fridges and small appliances are not permitted in Student Housing rooms, as the increased power requirement may overload our electrical system.

Where can I buy a bus pass?

You can purchase city bus passes in the Bookstore.

Where can I get a parking pass?

All residents who would like parking must apply for a decal.

Decals will be distributed when you check in to Student Housing.

Parking Application

When will I know if I am accepted for next year?

For up-to-date information, please call the Student Housing Office.

  • Nelson: (250)505-1393

  • Castlegar: (250)365-1227

Can I stay over Winter Break?

During the Winter term break, Student Housing and all services on campus are closed. If you will to apply to stay in the dorms during that time you may do so by filling out a Request for Winter Break Form for Castlegar or Nelson and pay $250.

This does not assure a space, final approval is at the discretion of the housing manager.